Friday, August 21, 2009

VISA: I can't leave the country without it

So, problems with my visa. Apparently they have my passport, but not the rest of my application. Ok, I put them in separate packages, my fault. What really gets me is the fact that I sent both priority mail, which is supposed to be 2-3 days, but in my case took 12. This on top of all the other pre-leaving stress is not making me a happy person. A few people have tried to reassure me, rightly pointing out that God is more powerful than the British Consulate, but I'm starting to wonder if this is happening because I am not meant to go.

I know I shouldn't have so much doubt, but it seems like just as I've gotten over my fear OF going, now I get to be afraid that I'm NOT going.

In the interest of com batting my fear by facing it, here is a rundown of what the Visa application process is:

First, under new U.K. law, I have to be "sponsored" by an organization within the U.K. This was a small problem in that I am being sent and funded by PC(USA), and American organization as the name would imply. Conveniently, this was not MY problem, except that I couldn't begin applying until Doug (the site coordinator, hi Doug!) had secured this for all of us, which was something new for him since I don't think he had to do this last year.

So, sponsorship has now been arranged, so I get an email with my sponsor and sponsorship number, allowing the visa office to verify it. This means I can start the application process.

The first part of it is to fill out this online form/questionnaire that is rather thorough (my parents dates and places of birth, every trip outside of the U.S. I have taken in the last 10 years...). Once that is done I print that out, and make an appointment to go to an immigration center where they take my picture and fingerprints. The closest one to me is 3 hours away with traffic, or 3 and a half hours away without. I pick the one with traffic since it is also close to someone I wanted to see before I left, we had a lovely lunch. Or would have if I hadn't been so nervous.

So, that done, picture and fingerprints taken, plus a stamp on a form indicating that I had done that, put that form, the printed form from online, a letter indicating that pretty much that I will have enough money to house, feed and clothe myself, and various other supporting documents indicating that I am who I say I am, and, of course, my passport (oops) in the mail to California.

Most of that went smoothly, but with the slow mail delivery combined with my being an idiot and mailing things separately...

OK, well, that didn't really help, but the three people who read this will now be more educated. Or something.

OK, well, I'm going to go back to laundry, packing and cleaning.

Update 7:40 PM

I threw the pants I was wearing into the last load of laundry. I forgot to take my phone out of the pocket. I caught it before the agitator started, so hopefully it just encountered water and not soapy water, but I may not have a phone.

Presumably, the people in the visa office work normal hours...in which case they close in 20 minutes. They have my home number, but I won't be here on Monday when they reopen.

Let's hope they have my email address.

Update 8:00 PM

Just got an email, they have everything together, so that's good. Promises to make a decision within 10 business days, so let's just hope that they decide a bit quicker than that...

Update 9:00 PM

This may well be my longest post ever with all these updates, but I think I saved my phone. Vacuum cleaner/hair dryer combo for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment